citation issues was: process, [citation] (was Re: [uf-new] announcing the hOCR and hBIB microformats)

Michael McCracken michael.mccracken at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 17:23:30 PDT 2007

2007/4/8, Benjamin West <bewest at gmail.com>:
> On 4/3/07, Thomas Breuel <tmbdev at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'll add some more comments to the Wiki.
> >
> > Thomas
> >

> Thomas:
> First, thanks for your feedback on the wiki.
> You added a couple of things to the wiki as requirements.  However,
> I don't see these as requirements: mostly they are issues.  In order to
> support the assertions, eg the importance of preserving the typeface
> of the original citation, you'll need to provide examples from the web.
> (FWIW, html does not make any promises to preserve the presentation
> of a resource by design, so I doubt this will really be a requirement here.)
>
> Instead, I'm re-organizing them as issues, and I'll let those more familiar
> with this work comment further.  In addition, I'm going to scan through the
> citation documents and move anything that can easily be rephrased as an issue
> to the issues page.  Hopefully have them concentrated in one place
> will help, and people won't mind me moving things around too much.

I'm sure it will help. The pages are jumbled right now, and if you can
clear things up it'd be a big help.

For instance, the brainstorming page has years of layers that have
been kept around to avoid stepping on other people's toes, but could
probably be deleted, since they're mainly obsolete and are still in
history anyway.

I have one request - if you create an issues page that refers to
issues that have been discussed WRT the straw format, could you link
to the discussion section that I put after the straw format so wiki
readers can find their way to the full discussion? Or you could just
move the discussion section onto the issues page, so long as the links
from the format to the discussions still work...

Thanks,
-mike

--
Michael McCracken