[uf-new] Microformat for Music Downloads

Alexandre Van de Sande alexandrevandesande at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 18:45:42 PDT 2007

Hello, i have been reading this discussion for some time now and I
think I would love to opinate. I think we are losing the bigger
picture of microformats, by finding the quicker fix for a
not-so-complicated-as-it-seems problem.

I believe that more importantly than creating a microformat to
describe a downloadable audio file, we should think that the track
comes first, the information about the music comes first, and the .mp3
file itself (or it's location) is just another description of it.

Also hAtom is a great microformat to describe any "sindicated"
content, but it's job is not to describe in details that content.
hAtom has an "author" field, but it does not describes that author:
instead it uses a hCard inside the field to do it. In the same manner,
I believe the most scalable way to add information about what's being
syndicated is to add another microformat inside the "content" field of
hAtom. Today it can be a media-info or an audio-info (or a hGeo for
syndicating places i like, hCard to sindicate people available for a
job), but tomorrow it could be as well be a hComicBook, an
hSelfHelpPresentation or a hCheesyJoke.

The best way to extend hAtom is to use another microformat inside it,
not to publicy discuss  a change to the standard every time somebody
wants to syndicate something new.

Therefore I believe the best,  in  the long term , is the option 2, to
complete the media-info format and the sindicate it using hAtom.

If that seems a difficult job then we should break that one in pieces,
and solve the media-info for pop music/spoken audio first, because
most of it's solutions will be reusable to grow media-info into a
microformat that can describe most medias on the web. But again, it's
just a first poster opinion and I might have missed the boat.

Alexandre Van de Sande
interaction designer
wanderingabout.com