[uf-new] Proposal to split media-info exploration

Manu Sporny msporny at digitalbazaar.com
Mon Apr 9 18:26:56 PDT 2007

The media-info discussion was started on December 17th, 2005. It has
been almost sixteen months and every time media-info is mentioned, it
seems that it will be at least another six months before the first draft
is completed. Contributors seem to be shying away from it because it
seems like such a daunting task (the reason being: it is). So in the
spirit of the Microformat process, let us simplify the problem.

I propose that we split the media-info exploratory discussion into three
parts: audio, video and images.

The exploratory examples for audio have been completed. From what I have
heard, nobody has said that there shouldn't be a media-info uF for
audio. In addition to that, music (audio) seems to be the one of most
interest at the moment. I am volunteering to create an
audio-info-examples page, collate all of the analysis results that are
in media-info into the new page and write a draft specification for
audio-info.

If there are no objections, I'd like to start this process soon. The
goal would be to have a draft audio-info spec in about a month or two,
and then move onto video and images. Once all three uF drafts are
completed, the requirements for media-info will be automatically fulfilled.