[uf-new] Suggestion for collections (audio, video, images)

Kevin Marks kevinmarks at mac.com
Tue Apr 17 11:33:16 PDT 2007

On Apr 16, 2007, at 5:19 AM, Alexandre Van de Sande wrote:

> On 4/15/07, Manu Sporny <msporny at digitalbazaar.com> wrote:
>> Does this make sense? Do we want to apply the "collection" design
>> pattern to other Microformats:
>>
>> * hGeo (for waypoints)
>> * hCard (for an address book)
>> * hReview (for a collection of reviews about a particular movie)
>> * hAudio (for audio albums)
>> * hVideo (for episodic content)
>> * hImage (for photo albums)
>

> Do not take it too further. I don't think that a microformat embedded
> inside the other implicitly means a collection, but it means that this
> "thing" is made from other "things". So:
>
> -Recursive hAudio means one big audio collection of audios OR
> -Recursive hAudio means one music that takes samples or covers
> other musics
> -Recursive hMovies means a two-hour movie made from short films
> -Recursive hImage means one big image made from smaller pieces (a map,
> a collage or a scrapbook)

The point was not recursion but collection. XOXO is a fine way to
express simple collections, or nested ones; eg hGeo in XOXO is a
sensible form fro waypoints.

hFeed is more about an accumulated series of separate entities, with
timestamps and authorship.

Nesting a format in itself is as you say not necessarily meaningful.

> Your example of kill bill is a great illustration. A hMovie describing
> kill bill is not a collection of songs, hcards and small movies (the
> Oren Ishii animation for example, where it's told the chinese girl's
> childhood, could be described as a separate movie), but one big movie
> made from all those. The difference is not so clear when everything is
> hAudio or hMovie, but can be seen on the aforementioned examples..

hAudio in XOXO would be a sequence, or playlist, which is a useful form.

Another form that is useful is a list of timepoints within a piece of
media - a chapter list or running order. Many podcasts list their
contents in this way, and being able to represent the scene structure
of an extended video piece is similarly useful.