[uf-new] feedback wanted on property listing microformat

Michael Biven michael.biven at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 13:14:55 PDT 2007

Here is a listing number to look at. We don't use permalinks right
now, but I've only recently taken over as the MLS Director and that is
one item on my list of things to change.

If you got to http://www.louisvillerealtors.com and click on the all
properties link (middle of page) you can refine the search to look at
this listing (1154370) and below I have what I came up with after
using the schema form the hListing proposal.

Listing Action : Sell
Lister: Keller Williams Realty
location: 536 S Fourth St, Loiuisville KY 40202
price $335,500
item info (fn || url || photo || geo || adr) | hCard (for person or business).
item info photo: Photo
item info geo or just item info url: map & directions
summary (title): GLAR :: Property Search
description "Stunning one of a kind loft, Unit 202 is in the red tiled
building and features soaring ceilings; exposed brick; tiled showers;
119 year old, refinished heart pine floors; stone countertops; modern
European cabinetry; tile finishes; 2 bedrooms; the master bath
features both a tub and tiled shower. This unit is spectacular with
three, tall French doors with transoms, opening on to an iron balcony
that runs the width of the unit and overlooks Fourth St. Very "New
Orleans"! If you've seen the other loft developments in town, now come
see this one! This beautiful, Art Deco Landmark, is being lovingly
restored and converted into 18 incredible lofts! A few feet from The
historic Seelbach Hotel and one block from "Fourth Street Live!". A
short walk to YMCA, Louisville Medical Center, Louisville Palace, and
a myriad of restaurants, and cultural attractions. ONE INDOOR, SECURED
PARKING SPOT ON FIRST FLOOR OF BUILDING! This is spacious, reasonably
priced, urban living at it's best! Your clients will LOVE it."

I guess things like  the MLS number, subdivision, square footage, age
or any of the other fields could use "item info fn", but to me it
seems that we could arrive at a a set of common fields to use with a
real estate listing.

I do remember seeing a link to the RETS standard in the wiki so some
of you are aware of it and the draft of the new 2.0 standard has a
place (under the other payload section) that a microformat could
easily fall into. Plus after talking with Keith Garner (from the
Center for Realtor Technology at the National Association of Realtors)
there seems to be some interest in this.

The issue I have is that after spending quite a bit of energy to show
that using such a tool would be useful and a step in the right
direction for the Realtor association that I'm the MLS Director with,
I'm almost too tired to argue here that there is a need for additional
fields or a maybe new proposal to include the "most common and useful
parts" for real estate listings.