[uf-new] media-info and podcasts

Kevin Marks kevinmarks at mac.com
Wed Apr 18 13:30:25 PDT 2007

On Apr 10, 2007, at 7:47 AM, Alexandre Van de Sande wrote:

> Reading the media info page on the wiki I could not find many
> references to long podcasts with multiple musics.

There are also similar issues with spoken word podcasts where
multiple topics are addressed. This is where a chapter listing makes
sense.

> One aspect that media-info for music should address is that of a long
> file with multiple musics inside, like a music podcast or a mix tape.
> I listen to many podcasts and unless they are in a proprietary "apple
> enhanced podcast" m4a file, my computer has no means to retrieve any
> information concerning what I have been listening to. Many podcasts
> post a track listing so that would be probably the best place to start
> microformatting.

Actually, .m4a is not proprietary, it is an MPEG4 standard file. This
could be better documented perhaps, but other tools should be able to
open and create these too. For example, QuickTime player will show
you the tracks they consist of.

I think the chapter list is the simpler problem here, and adding
sources for each chapter makes sense as an enhancement. Foe example,
see http://freshlimesoda.net for an example of a spoken-word podcast
with a running order and sources discussed, but no music.