[uf-new] Re: markup advice for the citation microformat (Michael McCracken)

Mary Hodder mary at dabble.com
Tue Apr 24 09:30:10 PDT 2007

Note on the date discussion below.

On Friday at the Diversifying The Ecosystem For Online Video session
which I moderated, there was a lot of discussion about things like
this and how developers always go "amurican" as it were and that's
alienating to the rest of the world.

Is there something we could do here to make this more inviting to
people elsewhere?  This makes sense to me:

>> <dd class="date">Publish date: <abbr class="date-published"
>> title="YYYYMMDD">

as neutral

but this:

>> MM/DD/YYYY</abbr> ...</dd>

reverts to the american date standard.

At Dabble we wrote some code to translate all the different date
formats we are getting both outside and inside.  Can the microformat
also be set up to be flexible?  Also, a lot of video we see just has
a year, no month or day.  So can the formats be adjustable that way?

Just something to keep in mind.

mary

Mary Hodder
Founder:  Dabble