[uf-new] Re: markup advice for the citation microformat (Michael McCracken)

Scott Reynen scott at makedatamakesense.com
Tue Apr 24 09:45:34 PDT 2007

On Apr 24, 2007, at 11:30 AM, Mary Hodder wrote:

> Is there something we could do here to make this more inviting to
> people elsewhere?  This makes sense to me:
>
>>> <dd class="date">Publish date: <abbr class="date-published"
>>> title="YYYYMMDD">
>
> as neutral
>
> but this:
>
>>> MM/DD/YYYY</abbr> ...</dd>
>
> reverts to the american date standard.

The MM/DD/YYYY there is not really part of the standard.  The
abbreviation design pattern [1] allows the human-readable formatting
to change independent of the machine readable formatting (in the
title attribute), allowing one publisher to publish May 2, 2007 and
another to publish 2 May 2007, and machines understand they're the
same date (title="2007-05-02").  Maybe we just need to diversify the
examples in the wiki to make this more clear?

[1] http://microformats.org/wiki/abbr-design-pattern

--
Scott Reynen
Web Developer