[uf-new] Currency Proposal (and Measurements)

Manu Sporny msporny at digitalbazaar.com
Fri Apr 27 07:09:28 PDT 2007

Andy Mabbett wrote:
> In message <4630FFD5.4050607 at digitalbazaar.com>, Manu Sporny
> <msporny at digitalbazaar.com> writes
>
>> It looks like measurement should be a new Microformat. If it is
>> successful, it would probably replace the currency Microformat.
>
> I agree with your former statement, but not the latter. There are some
> crucial differences between measurements of size, mass, time, etc., and
> amounts of money.
>
> For example, the relation between an inch and a centimetre is
> (historical shifts not withstanding) fixed; the relationship between a
> Canadian Dollar and a Pound Sterling changes minute by minute.
>
> Measurements, are, well, measured. Amounts of money are arbitrarily
> applied.

Hmmm - I can see your point, that there are nuances. After reading
through all of the currency-examples, I see that the relationship
between currencies is in the problem statement.

Emil, you, and I are talking about slightly different problem statements.

Emil's idea attempts to create the concept of sub-classing/inheritance
for Microformats (which I don't think is a good idea). It also attempts
to define a standard method of marking up measurements (which I think is
a very good idea).

Your idea provides an extension for currency that could state the
relationship of USD to EU amounts. This need isn't backed up in the
currency examples - is it? None of the examples demonstrate the need to
define relationships between monetary amounts.

The concept that I proposed just attempts to define a microformat for
units of measure. This microformat COULD (not would) replace currency if
it is found that there isn't a need to define relationships between
currencies.

Regardless - all of us are wildly speculating. Emil would need to
collect enough examples for the measurement-examples page to make the
case for a general measurement uF.

Emil, you don't start the Microformats process by proposing
design-patterns. As Ryan King so accurately put it to some dummy on the
list (me):

"Using the word "pattern" makes is sound like this has been used before
multiple times. Until something is used in several microformats, I see
no reasonable way to call it a design pattern."

Emil - if you want to push your idea of sub-classing/inheritance, you
are going to have to prove that there is a need for it. To do that, you
are going to have to find enough examples that show that it is required.
Until then, what you, Andy and I are proposing is wild speculation.