[uf-new] img alt content statistics

Alasdair King alasdairking at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 00:14:23 PDT 2007

I develop a free web browser for blind people called WebbIE (
http://www.webbie.org.uk). The use of images in links is a problem for my
users too.

I use the alt tag content as text for the link: if the alt tag is blank or
missing I use the filename of the target, so

http://www.mypage.com/contact.htm

becomes

Link 1: contact.htm

(And on looking at it how it should probably just go to just "contact"...!)

Offered as a real-world example (insignificant numbers vs IE, significant
numbers vs blind people).

--
Alasdair King
WebbIE
alasdair at webbie.org.uk

On 7/15/07, Chris Casciano <chris at placenamehere.com> wrote:

> On Jul 14, 2007, at 6:52 PM, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis wrote:
>
> > I'm increasingly sceptical about non-qualitative statistical
> > exercises of this sort. They need to be interpreted with great
> > caution. For example, alt="" may be compliant with the (X)HTML
> > specifications, or it may not be. You just can't tell without
> > looking at the page in question.
> >
> > I'm not sure why mass use or abuse of @alt, treating all webpages
> > as equals, is deterministic for hCard parsing. Doesn't there need
> > to be a subsample containing only pages with markup that would be
> > interpreted by a microformat parser as an hCard?
>

> One thing I hope we don't lose sight of is that while we as a
> community should be promoting standards and other best practices in
> all web development and design fronts, if the microformat specs take
> a hard line on issues such as this where there is some regular use of
> a variety of techniques it may hurt both adoption on a case b case
> basis as well as how the movement as a whole is viewed in terms of
> practicality.
>

> Image replacement techniques, bowing to CSS, when an image is
> considered "content" or not are ALL areas where reasonable people
> have reasonable arguments for pros and cons and I think its the job
> of the microformats spec writers to /wherever/ possible to support
> common coding practices, because for the most part which technique is
> appropriate is determined by one two word rule: "it depends".
>

> Just my thought on the matter, anyway.
>
> --
> [ Chris Casciano ]
> [ chris at placenamehere.com ] [ http://placenamehere.com ]