[uf-new] hAudio - audio-album and audio-podcast

Manu Sporny msporny at digitalbazaar.com
Fri Jun 1 13:19:34 PDT 2007

Brian Suda wrote:
> I just think there was either, no interest in
> developing the format, or too many "what if we add this" happened and
> it never moved forward.

It tends to be more of the latter when it comes to this list :) - lots
of good ideas... in fact, too many to see clearly, sometimes. That is
why it would be good of us to limit this discussion to audio-info only.

You also stated that that you "feel these same properties can
simultaneously apply to multiple things". Yes, absolutely they can - I
wouldn't be surprised at all if images and video shared a great number
of the elements (such as 'fn', 'image-summary', 'duration', and 'price').

However, we don't know until we do the research - that means collecting
80-100 video site examples and collecting 80-100 image site examples. If
somebody on the list wants to go and do that right now, that would be
great. However, barring any heroes collecting and analyzing all of those
examples - we don't have the data necessary to make the arguments.

My gut tells me you are correct, Brian - however, Microformats are not
based on gut-feelings... they're based on hard data.

> --- You could have some overarching container, lets call that
> something like "media". That has meta data, much like hfeed.

All good suggestions - why can't we do both album and media? I was
defending the position that you are defending just a few days ago. That
of generic grouping.

As Joe noted, you lose quite a bit of semantic meaning when you use
generic containers - that seemed to be a theme in the arguments against
hSet. I don't think you're going to find many people that will agree to
create another generic container when we just had a very drawn out
discussion about generic containers.

> Has anyone attempted to simply
> mark-up their data using hReview with a price and duration (which is
> already a solved problem in hCalendar)?

It loses semantic meaning. An album isn't the same thing as a review.
You don't tell your friends "Hey I just listened to a review called
"Yeehaw and the Kick Me Brothers" last night - it was great!". At that
point, they have no idea if you're talking about a movie, a podcast, an
album, or a song. You say "I listened to this album called "Yeehaw and
the Kick Me Brothers" last night". It is far more semantically accurate.

Encapsulating hAudio in hReview when writing a review about a song or
album would be a perfect example of using the two together in a proper
manner.