[uf-new] hAudio: relevant UIDs

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Thu Jun 7 06:23:26 PDT 2007

In message <1181219860.25598.9.camel at localhost.localdomain>, Martin
McEvoy <martin at weborganics.co.uk> writes

>Can you add some examples to the wiki to display why hAudio needs this?

I don't have time, but to start you off, here are some for Elgar and
Beethoven:

        <http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=elgar+ISMN>

        <http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=elgar+ISRC>

        <http://www.google.co.uk/search&q=beethoven+ISWC>

        (on the latter, you may need to start looking on the second
        page, as "ISWC" has other, popular meanings)

Besides, they're *ISO* international standards.

>Do you think that the url of a down-loadable file is a UID of sorts?

It uniquely identifies that particular instance; however it does not
uniquely identify that song or performance (or whatever).

Compare with the URL of a book for sale on Amazon, a copy of the same
book for sale on eBay, and the common ISBN for both copies.

You have incidentally illustrated one of the problems with the
"microformats process"  the evidence gathering is ad hoc and may be
unrepresentative, incomplete or biased (the later including, but not
limited to, cultural and linguistic bias).

--
Andy Mabbett
            *  Say "NO!" to compulsory UK ID Cards:  <http://www.no2id.net/>