[uf-new] title vs. summary (was: Third attempt at hAudio)

Joe Andrieu joe at andrieu.net
Thu Jun 7 15:40:50 PDT 2007

I would like to suggest "audio-title".

"title" itself is already defined elsewhere, in an incompatible way.

"summary" is inaccurate. Many titles are not summaries in any sense of the word:

"Hey Joe" - Jimi Hendrix
"Beethoven's Ninth Sympony" - Beethoven
"Rainy Day Women #12 and 35" - Bob Dylan
"The Start Spangled Banner" - Francis Scott Key

In contrast, one could easily imagine "summary" being incredibly useful semantic HTML for podcasts or speaches, or indeed, for
summarizing spoken essays.

Because "summary" is often incorrect and has useful meaning on its own, I think it would be an error to shoehorn it into a
replacement for "title".

In particular, an hReview that has a summary, is the summary of the /review/. It would be confusing if it also served as the title
of an an audio clip being reviewed, which I think would be a natural problem for an hReview that includes an hAudio.

While hReview uses "summary" for title, it is understood that reviews rarely have artistic titles (they are rarely artistic media),
and instead are usually titled as a summary of the entire review.

Most artistic media, books, movies, poems, songs, and albums, on the other hand, have titles that are artistic expressions
themselves.

-j

--
Joe Andrieu