[uf-new] div class for "service links"?

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Wed Jun 13 20:36:30 PDT 2007

On Jun 12, 2007, at 9:35 PM, D Chudnov wrote:

> Has anybody thought, talked about, or worked on naming those boxes of
> "service links" every site seems to have now?  You know, the ones
> within which you can "save to delicious" and "digg this" and "save to
> facebook" or "look this up in technorati".  There are plugins that add
> these sets of links for all the major blog engines, and all the major
> media outlets seem to support some random subset of the world of
> possible service links, but never just the ones I want.
>
> I want to be able to dynamically mix in the exact services I subscribe
> to whenever I see one of these, and I want institutions like libraries
> to be able to mix in the kinds of stuff they're doing with OpenURL
> right there, too, but it shouldn't take a lot of work.  If, for every
> time anybody publishes one of those "boxes of service links", we could
> at least identify that "this is where the service links go", we could
> make quite a bit of progress toward this goal.

This seems like a use case better addressed with browser add ons with
the UI in the browser chrome.

And, you could do it without anyone changing their markup. Just
create a browser extension that looks for every anchor tag with
rel="bookmark" and gives you a shortcut to bookmark/digg/search that
URL.

> It could be as easy as "<div class='service-links'>blah blah
> blah</div>".   Or class="serviceable".  Or something more uf-ish like
> "hServices".
>
> Let me know if this sounds interesting, or if I've missed some work on
> something like this.

On the other hand, though I still don't think this would be worthy of
a microformat, it would be very useful (to me, at least) for someone
to document the markup patterns with these tools.

-ryan