[uf-new] First draft of hAudio proposal

Manu Sporny msporny at digitalbazaar.com
Wed May 2 15:14:36 PDT 2007

Scott Reynen wrote:
>> As the analysis shows - we need a solution that can do both sparse and
>> non-sparse grouping. All of the non-name-space-based solutions proposed
>> thus far do not support sparse grouping.
>
> Can you point out some actual examples of what you're calling "sparse"?

Definition of sparse grouping can be found here:

http://microformats.org/wiki/grouping-examples#Types_of_grouping

Here are a couple of very clear examples of sparse grouping:

Note that the song should be grouped with the podcast AND the album.
That understanding is clear from viewing the page:
http://www.coverville.com/archives/2007/04/coverville_313.html

Again, note that there isn't clear hierarchy - songs belong to the
podcast, shows and albums listed on the page. One song can be a part of
three groups:
http://www.mutantpop.net/radioclash/archives/2007/03/24/rc-113/

Note that descriptions on the page can have many different groupings of
the content on the page. In this example, the band is related to or
grouped with television shows (which are groups in and of themselves),
bands are also groups with other bands:
http://www.bitmunk.com/view/media/6068744

This one is especially important. Note that the album is described
first, then the top songs as an ordered list, then what the listeners
also bought, and then finally the songs that are related to the album
mentioned at the very beginning of the page.
http://www.misrolas.com/downloadmusic/album.php?id=1316

To contrast, this is what a non-sparse layout looks like. Note that the
post has a definite structure and could be done using simple "hAudio +
XOXO" markup:
http://indiecastwp.podshow.com/?p=76

Does that help clarify the difference between a sparse grouping and a
non-sparse grouping?