[uf-new] Re: hAtom is not a silver bullet

Manu Sporny msporny at digitalbazaar.com
Thu May 3 16:16:15 PDT 2007

David Janes wrote:
> However, your characterization of hAtom as having a "syndication"
> background / being some sort of syndication format is wrong

I'm sure I am being dense... but I thought Atom was all about
syndication? Perhaps we have different definitions of what "syndication"
means?

"S: (n) syndication (selling (an article or cartoon) for publication in
many magazines or newspapers at the same time) 'he received a
comfortable income from the syndication of his work'" [1]

"In general, syndication means the distribution a news article through a
syndicate - in this case an RSS feed - for publication in a number of
newspapers or periodicals simultaneously. Used in the context of RSS
because RSS syndication is all about distributing content for reuse or
redistribution on other websites." [2]

"Created by leading service providers, tool vendors and independent
developers, Atom is designed to be a universal publishing standard for
personal content and weblogs." [3]

Am I confusing syndication with publishing? Are they really that different?

> Yes, we
> refer to the Atom standard, but as appropriate one is expected to make
> the mapping when it talks about "atom feed" to "the content being
> marked up with hAtom" -- the same way when reading hCard we know we're
> talking about content being marked up with that rather than a block of
> vCard text.

Please clarify - the above didn't really make any sense to me (I'm not
being difficult, I really don't get what you are attempting to say).

Are there a large number of examples of hAtom being used for anything
else than syndication/blogging/news article publishing?

Perhaps your viewpoint can be backed up with some examples that I am
unaware of? Who is currently using hAtom for
non-syndication/non-blogging/non-news article-based publishing? Please
don't use corner-cases!

-- manu

[1] http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=syndication
[2] http://www.rsstoolchest.com/rss-glossary.html