[uf-new] Revisiting grouping problem solution proposal: hset

Manu Sporny msporny at digitalbazaar.com
Fri May 18 12:04:10 PDT 2007

Martin McEvoy wrote:
>>> I know there is more mark up but it does use simple class names that
>>> every one can understand
>> I agree, it does do the same thing. I'd prefer doing something like what
>> you're suggesting. The only problem that would need to be solved is how
>> we support sparse grouping with that approach?
>
> We can't, can we?

We've been wracking our collective brains on how to make what your
proposed to work, but keep having the same sorts of problems. If we
didn't have to deal with sparse groups, your solution would be perfect.

In a way, this is a perfect example of why we need to collect examples
for any Microformat - if we weren't collecting examples, we would have
probably adopted something very similar to what you proposed (and not
addressing the real problem in the end).

> Right now the penny drops Its a compact microformat? or hSet if you
> like? as a design pattern it can be used like this
>
> hset.dtstart.20070312T1700-06

I don't think we should expand it to a design pattern until we see it
used in several other Microformats. Let's keep it semi-constrained for
right now because it doesn't cost us anything to do so.

In addition, several Microformats will need to use hset to identify it
as a design pattern. You are correct - it is a VERY simple Microformat
and probably will become a design pattern eventually.

Let's let hset take its natural course and not rush it into being a
design pattern before we are sure it will be used as such.

> I think hSet will solve many issues when used like this, and above all
> it puts machine data where it belongs.

Then if there are no objections - I'll write up an hset proposal and
submit it to the list for feedback in the next week or two. We'll do one
more round of feedback for haudio and hset after that and see where we
stand.