[uf-new] Revisiting grouping problem solution proposal: hset

Manu Sporny msporny at digitalbazaar.com
Wed May 23 06:20:32 PDT 2007

Colin Barrett wrote:
> On May 22, 2007, at 1:35 PM, Manu Sporny wrote:
>
>>> using a character that is requires escaping when writing CSS
>>> rules etc.)
>>
>> Why would we write CSS rules for hset?
>
> For many content authors, one of the main advantages of having data in a
> microformat is to easily style it with CSS. In fact, since the
> classnames and format is standard, you could even have a user style
> sheet in your browser to make hCards appear with a green background and
> a yellow border with a small rolodex card icon too.

I understand why we would want to do this for hCard - I can't understand
why somebody would want to do this for hSet.

Specifically, I don't understand the CSS argument because I haven't seen
enough examples of group highlighting via CSS in the real world.

> If you're seriously asking the question of "why would we want to style a
> microformat with CSS," perhaps you're in the wrong place...

The question wasn't that general - "Why would we write CSS rules for
hset?". Per the Microformats process - do we have examples of anybody
highlighting that information? I'd be very interested to see some
examples of this as there are none listed in the 68 entries on the
grouping-examples page:

http://microformats.org/wiki/grouping-examples