[uf-new] hSet survey findings and future direction

Joe Andrieu joe at andrieu.net
Wed May 30 18:31:12 PDT 2007

Colin Barrett wrote:
> On May 30, 2007, at 3:04 PM, Martin McEvoy wrote:
>
> > "only 7 people that filled out the survey" wow so clearly not many
> > people think that grouping is a problem? but lets press on
> anyway ...
>
> I really agree with this -- I don't particularly think grouping is a
> huge problem here, and I don't think tackling this "up front"
> without
> a whole ton of prior art is a good idea.

I think the non-voting by most of us on this list is voting that this issue isn't worth solving/dealing with at this time.

However, I wanted to bring up a fact that seems to have been largely ignored.

hSet loses semantic data about its collection. An album (photo or audio). A book series. A television season. Each, potentially has
it's own related semantics. If you shove everything into hSet, you lose that. Generalized solutions destroy semantics.  Specific
solutions that can be handled generally preserve semantics.

It's actually one of the reasons XOXO isn't a silver bullet.  Count me as a vote for handling grouping/sets on a microformat by
microformat basis.

A herd is not a pod is not a school is not a gaggle is not an album is not a series...

-j

--
Joe Andrieu
SwitchBook Software