[uf-new] hAudio - audio-album and audio-podcast

Manu Sporny msporny at digitalbazaar.com
Thu May 31 13:45:55 PDT 2007

Martin McEvoy wrote:
>> Your use of audio-album could cause problems later in the semantic
>> meaning, iTunes has many celebrity playlists, which are not actually
>> ALBUMS, but are a collection of related songs. The term podcast seems
>> very 2005, in 4 years will we still use 'podcats' maybe, maybe not?
>
> I think manu was just trying to be obvious in his descriptions.

Yes, I was attempting to offer several options - each having it's own
set of trade-offs and see which ones people chose and for which reasons.

>> What ever happened to working on the media-format? this seems like a
>> similar problem to DVD chapters, and other multi-media issues?
>
> I agree that maybe we have been too far down this path that the
> discussion around separating audio, video, and images and then tackling
> Media info has gone stale and maybe not the right direction to chose, we
> can no longer see the "cow path" never-mind pave it
>
> I vote for moving this discussion back to media info, and go from there,

I strongly disagree - media info was a very broad problem. So broad that
almost no progress has been made on it in over eighteen (18) months.
Splitting the exploratory discussion into smaller pieces helped us focus
on solving a manageable problem - audio-info.

Audio-info has seen a great deal of progress in the past 3 months. We
are 90% of the way there - the only item left for discussion is deciding
the naming for the grouping (album and podcast).

The first draft of the hAudio Microformat would be done at that point.

> you can add type atributes, audio/mpeg, image/jpeg, video/mpeg, or any
> other type listed at IANA or here:
>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_media_type
> and we would be somewhere near hMedia

Nope - we would actually be a very far way from hMedia. Remember the
Microformats process - we would need to collect and analyze examples for
video and images. You can't say that "all we would have to do is add
'type' attributes and we would almost be there" without collecting
enough hard data to back that statement up.