Re: [uf-new] [hAudio] fn _or_ album

Ben Ward lists at ben-ward.co.uk
Sun Nov 4 05:00:16 PST 2007

On 4 Nov 2007, at 12:05, Martin McEvoy wrote:
> I think It may have been better to set the subject of an hAudio object
> other than try to set a type by using "fn album" which is not setting
> the hAudio type at all, just setting the type of "fn" within the
> hAudio
> object.

That's not right. class="fn album" does *not* mean ‘fn of type
“album”’ it states two separate things:
• The value is the FN of the hAudio
• The value is the Album [Album Name] of the hAudio

Just as in hCard class="fn org" states two separate things:
• The value of FN of the hCard
• The value of Organisation-Name of the hCard (with optimisation)

Combining them into one element does not change ‘fn’ in any way, it's
just that the values are the same.

I've actually hit a problem with this though. Take the following
examples:

   from <span class="album">The Bends</span>
   by <span class="contributor hcard"><span class="fn org">Radiohead</
span></span>

   by <span class="contributor hcard"><span class="fn org">Radiohead</
span></span>
   is amazing!

album —
   by <span class="contributor hcard"><span class="fn org">Radiohead</
span></span>
   is fantastic live.

In the first example, we're explicitly talking about a track. The
structure is:
hAudio
   FN: The Bends
   ALBUM: The Bends
   Contributor: Radiohead

FN and ALBUM are separate, so we can imply that this is a track of an
album of the same name, despite the values being the same.

In the second, we're just talking about the album. The structure is:

hAudio
   FN: The Bends
   ALBUM: The Bends
   Contributor: Radiohead

Because FN and ALBUM are on the same element, we _could_ imply that
we're talking about an album.

But, the third example breaks it. The structure is:

hAudio
   FN: The Bends
   ALBUM: The Bends
   Contributor: Radiohead

Because FN and ALBUM are on the same element, we could imply that
we're talking about an album. But we're not. We're talking about the
track and the album name is implied in the prose.

Perhaps the hCard parallel is valid again here. Bear in mind that FN
in hCard is not a lone property. FN in hCard can be a persons name or
an organisation name. Persons name in N, organisation name in ORG.
The bug in hAudio, is that FN can be ALBUM or ‘track title’. But
there is no TRACK. It's like having hCard with ORG but not N. An
implied FN optimisation could be used later in hAudio, but the FN
must optimise _to_ something.

Ben