[uf-new] Measurement brainstorming

Manu Sporny msporny at digitalbazaar.com
Fri Oct 5 11:34:00 PDT 2007

Chris Newell wrote:
>> The Strawman includes the following new concepts:
>>
>> - The proposal only uses abbr to avoid the "but the parsers are going to
>>  be so complicated!" argument. Let's focus on what we can represent
>>  using <abbr> - what we can support in <span> will naturally come out
>>  of that discussion.
>> - This is a first cut and is missing things like measurements for
>>  "cups", "feet", etc.
>> - SI-prefixes should be used when applicable.
>> - It attempts to simplify and focus the discussion on <abbr>
>
> Looks good.

Chris, just to clarify - those were my suggestions, not Andy's. I don't
know if Andy agrees with this approach or not. If he does, then that's
great... but I don't want to put any words into his mouth. :)

> We could also reference http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SI_derived_unit and
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-SI_units_accepted_for_use_with_SI
> which expand the number of units in a controlled way.

I have included the SI derived units and the Non-SI accepted units.

> Even so, these references don't provide a suitable unit for bit-rate
> so I'd like to add "bit" as a supported unit, for use with the other
> entities you've defined e.g. "kbit/s".

I have also added 'bit' under "Units Defined by Microformats.org".

Changes can be found here:

http://microformats.org/wiki/measure-brainstorming#Supported_Derived_SI_Units

http://microformats.org/wiki/measure-brainstorming#Supported_Non-SI_Units

http://microformats.org/wiki/measure-brainstorming#Units_Defined_by_Microformats.org