[uf-new] I propose a new microformat for poems.

paul_wilkins at xtra.co.nz paul_wilkins at xtra.co.nz
Sat Oct 6 17:27:25 PDT 2007

From: Michael Walker <mike at yarrt.com>
>      Standing by the roadside,<br />
>      A tall dark man,<br />
>      Wore a long brown coat,<br />
>      Stood in the rain.

I've never been keen with using breaks.

more semantically correct answer is provided with XHTML 2.0 where a
line element is defined so that awful breaks aren't required in things
like poems.
If they were used, then the poem would look like this:

  <l>Standing by the roadside,</l>
  <l>A tall dark man,</l>
  <l>Wore a long brown coat,</l>
  <l>Stood in the rain.</l>

Until such code is supported though, a modified form can be used

with a style of
.l { display: block; }

It's bulkier than just having breaks, but it gives warm fuzzies to the the semantic leprechaun within me.

--
Paul Wilkins