[uf-new] Pattern: Presence of Property

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 06:21:51 PDT 2007

On 10/9/07, Ben Ward <lists at ben-ward.co.uk> wrote:
>  From a parsing POV, we're only interested in whether 'optional' is
> present or not. If it's absent, we'd be assuming 'required'. We'd be
> using a pattern whereby the property value is determined from
> presence or absence of the element, not by the value of it.
>
> Now of course this application is early days and we may yet find
> further requirements or different ways of doing it, but I like the
> idea of the pattern as it's language agnostic. Also, I think
> 'Presence of Property' is a pretty snappy name.
>
> What would people think about this sort of parsing rule being added
> to the microformats cannon?

--- i don´t think a binary true/false should be used as a class
attribute. This brings us back to SHOULD, MUST, MAY, you MAY use this
or you MAY NOT. Optional might not be a binary relationship.

Your example could become:
And we are back to hiding data.

using the TYPE we can make an enumerated list of OPTIONAL, REQUIRED,
MAY, RECOMMENDED, REPLACABLE, SUBSTITUDE, etc.

-brian

--
brian suda
http://suda.co.uk