[uf-new] item property (was: hAudio: audio-title/album-title vs. recording/album)

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Sun Oct 14 09:26:52 PDT 2007

In message <C33695E7.95C42%tantek at cs.stanford.edu>, Tantek Çelik
<tantek at cs.stanford.edu> writes

>> It's my understanding that "item" in microformats was intended purely as
>> a delimiter, with the same - empty - semantic value as SPAN and DIV in
>> HTML.
>
>It is a container for subproperties (or a submicroformat) , in hReview,
>similar to how "adr" is a container for subproperties.

Quite, we use "adr" not "item", because "adr" (meaning "address") is a
more precise, and thus more semantically meaningful, container - it
names the thing it contains.

>> The hReview spec is unhelpful in this regard, specifying it thus:
>>
>>       item info. required. fn (url || photo ) | hCard (for person or
>>       business) | hCalendar (for event)
>>
>> where "item" is in CODE tags but "info." is not, and is not explained.
>
>What help were you expecting?  Perhaps I can add it either in the
>specification or in a tutorial / authoring page.

A definition of item, in the context of the review microformat, without
the apparently stray textual fragment of "info."

The use of "pipe" separators and parentheses, without a clear statement
of their meaning, is also unhelpful.

>> The subsequent definition gives:
[...]
>> and the use of "item" in the examples is not consistent:
>
>Could you provide a specific explanation of which example is inconsistent
>with which statement in the prose of the specification?

Now you're asking me to provide examples of something I haven't stated.

>The examples below are consistent with the specification quoted above

but not with each other.

--
Andy Mabbett