[uf-new] hAudio ISSUE #8: hAlbum is redundant

Martin McEvoy martin at weborganics.co.uk
Wed Sep 12 15:11:38 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-12 at 15:58 -0400, Manu Sporny wrote:
> Martin McEvoy wrote:
> > I vote we use something more generic and call audio-title, album-title
> > or in fact any media related title just "media-title", you can re-use it
> > for albums, podcasts, toplists, downloads, charts, video, images.
>
> Martin,
>
> If we do that, we will lose the ability to differentiate between an
> album, podcast, toplist, download, and chart. These are differentiations
> that we need to make because of the examples discovered thus far.
>
> By using something like "podcast" or "album" we not only define the type
> of the hAudio, but the collection property as well. We address two
> issues (how do we specify hAudio type, and how do we specify hAudio
> collections) with one class name.

I think tat we are forgetting about context and the way hAudio may be
published

for example http://odeo.com/audio/270407/view
haudio elements here are title, download, duration and image

minimal markup the rest is context describing the published haudio using
markup or to coin a phrase POSH

another http://www.bradsucks.net/music/
haudio elements title payment enclosure and image

minimal markup the rest is context describing the published haudio using
markup or to coin a phrase POSH (yes i did copy and paste that)

I am not trying to be too simplistic here but I hope you can see what I
am trying to say, We may have identified the important elements in
hAudio using some fantastic methods for analyzing our data, but I am a
Publisher, first I look at not just the elements but the way people
publish their audio visually and the markup they use by using just
Firefox and firebug.

If we bloat haudio in the ways you and others are suggesting then the
actual use of hAudio (in my opinion) will be very slow indeed.
I do not think hAudio will benefit from any such use of podcast-title,
toplist-title, album-title or any derivative there-of
Im sure I dont want to have to shoe_horn_haudio into my markup!

We do however need a Track element even maybe a type and description
element but the rest must be left up to publishers

Thanks

Martin