[uf-new] hAudio ISSUE #8: hAlbum is redundant

Martin McEvoy martin at weborganics.co.uk
Thu Sep 13 16:40:55 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-09-13 at 10:46 -0400, Manu Sporny wrote:
> Martin McEvoy wrote:
> > I am not trying to be too simplistic here but I hope you can see what I
> > am trying to say,
>
> I don't think I see everything that you're trying to say, Martin... but
> I'll try to summarize what I think you are saying:
>
> I think you're making an argument for not bloating hAudio by adding too
> many new class names.

I was...!

> I think you think that I'm making an argument for adding album, toplist,
> podcast, playlist, and others. I am definitely not making this argument,
> although reading back through the thread, I can see how it might be
> construed that I am proposing adding a 5-7 new class names to hAudio.

You are not!!...

so why all the votes for adding these class names ?

http://microformats.org/wiki/audio-info-issues#Collection_Names

sorry I vote for none :(

hAudio is the container class if we we make hAlbum redundant which I am
in strong favour of.

haudio
  haudio-title
  track
   media-title

I use haudio-title here to say that this is our main haudio title and we
have been forbidden talk about just *title* because of its conflicts
with the title attribute in hCard.
and media-title is a generic name for what we are trying to describe.

Personally I don't like the use of Track either when there already is
something that describes our need if we use *item* from the
item-brainstorming page.

 http://microformats.org/wiki/item-brainstorming

haudio
  haudio-title
item
  media-title

this coupled with the addition of a description, or note as Andy has
been in favour of

haudio
 haudio-title
  description
 item
   media-title

description can be reused from xFolk

http://microformats.org/wiki/xfolk

and I would say we have got something worth shouting about.

> This thread started by trying to eliminate the hAlbum proposal. I think
> we should still do that, the question is... how do we eliminate hAlbum,
> but keep the functionality of hAlbum?
>
> > If we bloat haudio in the ways you and others are suggesting then the
> > actual use of hAudio (in my opinion) will be very slow indeed.
>
> I don't think any of us want to bloat hAudio. Right now, I am proposing
> adding two things to hAudio in order to eliminate hAlbum:
>
> ALBUM and TRACK
>
> -- manu

Thanks

Martin