[uf-new] Currency brainstorming (was: Measure & currency)

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Fri Sep 28 08:42:29 PDT 2007

In message
<e86992a40709280700w3f0a110etee6409cbd74692d4 at mail.gmail.com>, Frances
Berriman <fberriman at gmail.com> writes

I've just touched upon "currency" microformat in a post on the
"measurement" microformat. There's some duplication here, to facilitate
separation of discussions

>So, currency needs to be picked up.  I don't see it as as much of a
>priority as measure though but given it's work so far, it would be a
>useful piece of work to have that finished.

It may not be so important for recipes, but it's about to be used in
hAudio.

At its simplest form, money (aka "currency") can be:

ISO 4217 codes (e.g. USD, GBP) are listed at:

        <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_4217>

Alternatively, money could be a subset of "hMeasure", with ISO 4217
codes as units:

          <abbr class="currency" title="USD">$</abbr>

Which leaves the issues:

   *    Archaic currencies

           *    some non-decimal

           *    many have no ISO 4217 codes

   *    sub-divisions (cents, pennies, etc.)

I think we should, perhaps, set aside archaic currencies for now.

It may even be necessary, for the first draft, to also set aside the use
of subdivisions. We will, when we do use them, have to address the issue
that people publish, say:

        10 cents

without specifying a currency.

Also, I've previously explained why historic amounts should be dated.
This could be achieved by:

          ...which cost
          <abbr class="currency" title="USD">$</abbr>
          in <abbr class="date" title="1923-10">October 1923</abbr>.

though a more specific class-name ("money-date", say) might be
advisable.

>Just putting out a few thoughts.

Likewise.

--