[uf-new] Currency brainstorming

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Fri Sep 28 09:51:25 PDT 2007

In message <46FD2A48.5040602 at digitalbazaar.com>, Manu Sporny
<msporny at digitalbazaar.com> writes

>> Alternatively, money could be a subset of "hMeasure", with ISO 4217
>> codes as units:

>>           <abbr class="currency" title="USD">$</abbr>
>
>It could be... but I'd rather not go down the hMeasure route until
>examples have been collected. We have enough examples for currency via
>hAudio to come up with the first draft of currency. Perhaps in the
>future, currency will be a subset of hMeasure... but that is getting
>ahead of ourselves.

I think it's an either/ or choice; not one of "do one now them
incorporate it in the other".

>>    *    sub-divisions (cents, pennies, etc.)
>>
>> I think we should, perhaps, set aside archaic currencies for now.
>
>+1 - no need to address archaic currencies right now... don't even know
>if regular publishers even mark up these figures. Do we have any
>non-niche examples of that happening?

Yes (for some value of "non-niche").

>> It may even be necessary, for the first draft, to also set aside the use
>> of subdivisions.
>
>I think the currency-issues page has a good proposal for how we deal
>with subdivisions[1]. I'm fine with setting this aside for right now,
>but I think it something that could be agreed upon within a week or two.

Since writing the above, I've made another post addressing this; there
are issues relating to abbr-accessibility; I'd like to see the latter
resolved, but fear how long that will take...

--
Andy Mabbett