[uf-new] hAudio ISSUE #8: hAlbum is redundant

Julian Stahnke julian at julianstahnke.com
Fri Sep 28 13:20:55 PDT 2007

I like how the format is coming together, but have two questions.

Firstly, when looking at the complete album example markup, I
wondered why haudio needs to be nested in track. Could those two
things maybe be the same element? Like so:

<li class="track haudio">...

instead of having to write <li class="track"><span class="haudio">
which seems slightly bloated to me, especially considering hCalendar
allows for this format with location and hCard (as seen here: http://
microformats.org/wiki/hcalendar-location-hcard-example).

The same could be done for contributer and hCard, do they really need
to be nested or could those two classnames be on the same element?

Secondly, is there any means of marking up *just* an artist? I guess
that might be out of the scope of the haudio microformat, but it
would be quite important to have this possibility. There certainly
are pages out there who only mention an artist without naming any
specific tracks, and the role property of hCard seems not very
suitable for that task as very few people would write—in a blog post,
for example—‘the artist so-and-so’.

I’m sorry if the second thing doesn’t belong in this thread, I’ve
never before used a mailing list. Should I open a separate issue for
this?

—Julian