[uf-new] Recipe status

Toby A Inkster mail at tobyinkster.co.uk
Sun Apr 20 14:50:37 PDT 2008

Thomas Yde wrote:

> Why do you think 'value' is a poor class name? Can you elaborate a
> bit on the "special behaviour"?

http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard-parsing#Value_excerpting

So assuming that value excerpting (a shared design pattern used by
most other compound microformats) is allowed in hrecipe, then my
previous example:

	<li class="ingredient hmeasure">
	</li>

It would be parsed by an hRecipe-aware agent (but without any special
knowledge of hMeasure) as:

	Ingredient:
		Quantity: 2
		Item: Parsley
		Preparation Note: (chopped)

Note that the unit ("tbsp") is absent, because value-excerpting is
applied to the quantity. That's why I feel that "value" is the wrong
class name to use for the numeric part of the measurement in
hmeasure. Perhaps "mag" (short for "magnitude") encompasses the
meaning just as well, without having to worry about value excerpting?

That said it is the intention of my hmeasure schema that explicitly
marking up the value and unit is not required in the vast majority of
cases. So the following ought to avoid the value issue and parse
properly using both the hmeasure and hrecipe microformats:

	<li class="ingredient">
	</li>

Becase according to hmeasure minimisation in the draft spec, the
measurement doesn't have a value or unit, so minimisation is
employed: the node contents (except the explicitly marked up "item")
are taken to be the value and unit.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail at tobyinkster.co.uk>