[uf-new] hAudio Issue Duration

Martin McEvoy martin at weborganics.co.uk
Mon Aug 4 06:52:29 PDT 2008

The hAudio Duration issue has only really been raised on the list by
Andy Mabbet and Ben Ward,

basicaly this sucks!

<abbr class="duration" title="PT3M23S">3 minutes 23 seconds</abbr>

http://microformats.org/wiki/haudio#Duration

why?

1, the obvious abbr abuse, which is shameful for a new microformat and I
wont go into here

2, Its not human friendly, Its difficult for a human to understand

3, SoundCloud  http://soundcloud.com/ which is a fantastic application
with lots of audio were going to roll out haudio in a big way seemed to
drop haudio support when I expained the haudio duration format to them,
I guess they didn't want all that garbage in peoples faces :-(

There are (in my view) only three real ways to resolve this issue

1,  Drop haudio duration support only unlil the abbr design pattern
issue is resolved.

2  Wait unlil HTML5 is published and use the <time></time> element.

3 Support NLP  (Natural Language Processing)  <span class="duration">3
minutes 23 seconds</span>.

I personally am in favour of number 3 as I believe it is not too
difficult to build a parser that will process just durations (hours
minutes  seconds) as long as there is an agreed format.

Thanks

Martin McEvoy