[uf-new] hAudio Issue Duration

Toby A Inkster mail at tobyinkster.co.uk
Mon Aug 4 13:02:51 PDT 2008

> or this
[...]
> Numerical value and thus text  (words) are striped as they are nothing
> to do with the value, they are only there for a human to understand
> would leave us with...

It becomes a bit more murky with:

This gets reduced to "1 2". But is this PT1H2M or PT1M2S? It could
even be PT1H2S or a very long recording which is P1DT2H! NLP is not a
nice solution for this kind of thing. And for reasons I've outlined
before, a solution which *looks* like NLP will be mistaken for NLP by
publishers and you'll end up with an NLP arms race between publishers
and parsers.

For people concerned with the accessibility of ISO durations, I'd
suggest allowing duration to take *either* and ISO duration *or* a
length in seconds, optionally followed by whitespace then "s", the SI
abbreviation for seconds. e.g. the following would both be valid:

class="duration">3 minutes, 23 seconds</abbr> long.</p>
minutes, 23 seconds</abbr> long.</p>

The limitation of course would be that this alternative syntax only
allows times to be expressed in seconds, but I think that for many of
the use cases of hAudio (i.e. songs) it would represent an
improvement in accessibility.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail at tobyinkster.co.uk>