[uf-new] hAudio Issue Duration

Martin McEvoy martin at weborganics.co.uk
Wed Aug 6 02:43:50 PDT 2008

Hello Scott

Scott Reynen wrote:
> On [Aug 5], at [ Aug 5] 7:21 , Martin McEvoy wrote:

>> Looks a bit strange But it is expressing duration in ISO 8601 format
>> . PT1H3M42S
>

> Keep in mind ISO 8601 durations use "M" to indicate both month and
> minute, with the latter preceded by a "T" (for time).  Without that
> "T", the above "M" is ambiguous in terms of ISO 8601 durations.
> Ideally our duration markup would have no such ambiguity.
No our markup  shouldn't have no such ambiguity, you are right, It would
require that "T" be marked up too...

but again we would have the same issues that "m" is ambiguous, It really
is a shame that microformats (as is semantic html) are all lower case or
case insensitive, because if we were able to accept upper case values as
being different than lower we could say that "M" = month and "m" =
minute there would be no issues, but this is Impossible because the
UPPER CASE web is Pointless, why well the simplest answer I can give is,
The main reasons people build website s the first is to talk about your
hot product and make money or talk about things that make you tick, The
second (an perhaps more importantly to some) to be indexed by search
engines and rank highly in their results. Most search engines use a
process called Stemming[1]   or Porter 80  The Porter Stemming
Algorithm[2] so this process can be done reliably first all html
documents are converted to lower case  (this makes it easier to
determine term vectors[3])  so any "semantic meaning" you may have
marked up in there in  UPPER CASE  is  lost and means nothing.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stemming
[2] http://tartarus.org/~martin/PorterStemmer/
[3] http://www9.org/w9cdrom/159/159.html

Anyway finished with my rant  :-)

This issue really  needs to be addressed some how though ?

Best wishes

Martin McEvoy