[uf-new] hAudio Issue Duration

Martin McEvoy martin at weborganics.co.uk
Wed Aug 6 15:05:57 PDT 2008

Hello Guillaume

Guillaume P. Lebleu wrote:

[...]
> Can someone remind me / point me to the rationale behind the principle
> that the meaning of a classname cannot be dependent of the containing
> classname?_______________________________________________
[...]

There is no rational in your above statement in truth all root
Microformats depend on other properties to be present in order for them
to express any semantics at all,  haudio requires "title" or "album" to
be present, hcard requires that at least "fn" be present and so on.

The issue with "m" is when it comes to defining class names across all
microformats if  "m"=>month when contained in a "date" class and
"m"=>minute when contained in a duration class this is where the
problems arise, microformats are not ambiguous they mean very specific
things so "m" cannot mean both month and minute its either one or the
other, Another  and I guess the more important issue is it goes against
the microformats naming principles  in particular
> Using others' names to mean different things
http://microformats.org/wiki/naming-principles#Introduction

If we decided here and now that class="m" means Month, and then later
decided hey class="m"  also means something different Minute then this
would go directly against the above naming principle, I also think that
class "m" suffers a "brevity of meaning", not against any microformats
naming principles but should be.

http://microformats.org/wiki/naming-principles#Issues

so some "meaningful" abbreviation ....

I think that the above example meets half way between your example...

http://microformats.org/discuss/mail/microformats-new/2008-August/001655.html

and mine.

Thanks

Martin McEvoy