[uf-new] Opacity (Was: change haudio title to htitle.)

Martin McEvoy martin at weborganics.co.uk
Thu Aug 14 17:11:10 PDT 2008

Hello David, Toby...all

David Janes wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 4:13 PM, Toby A Inkster <mail at tobyinkster.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> 3. We provide a method for parsers to recognise unknown microformats as
>> *being* microformats (and thus, as being opaque). Some possible ways of
>> doing this: all new microformat root class names match a particular regular
>> expression (e.g. class="haudio-container", class="hproduct-container', etc)
>> or are required to include a common class name as well as their root class
>> name (e.g. class="haudio mfo", class="hproduct mfo", etc). That way, all
>> parsers just need to be updated to recognise this method, and new
>> microformats can be freely created using it, without worrying about updating
>> them every time a new format comes out.
>>

> This was one of the ideas I was trying to explore with the "item"
> concept [1], which builds upon some existing microformat terms.
>
> Regards, etc...
>
> [1] http://microformats.org/wiki/item

And the reason why Item was chosen to mean this is some "thing" that
should be treated  as its own object...

> It is important to understand that ITEM is an opaque element. When
> processing the ITEM element, none of the properties of the child
> hAudio should be pulled into the parent hAudio.
http://microformats.org/wiki/haudio#Parser_Processing_Notes

Its a bit vague it basically means  haudio has a way of calling the same
class names in different contexts and not get the two confused..

Dont get me wrong I am not saying lets use "item" or "mfo" or any such
word, what I am saying is items parsing rule *can* be applied to all
root class microformats,  hcard already has a similar rule ...

> When parsing an hCard, if a parser finds a nested hCard, it should
> treat that hCard as its own object, and treat properties of the nested
> hCard as only belonging to the nested hCard, not the containing hCard.
>
> This is essential for example for handling use of the "agent" property
> to nest an hCard that is the agent of another hCard
http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard-parsing#nested_hCards

For what it's worth I feel a little like a dog chasing my own tail ,
because I am not sure this is an authoring issue just a parser issue.

Best Wishes

Martin McEvoy