[uf-new] hAudio Issue D4: 2008-01-10 rel-enclosure does not allow for links to streaming files

Martin McEvoy martin at weborganics.co.uk
Mon Aug 18 08:53:51 PDT 2008

Hello All

Issue D4: 2008-01-10 [1]

Raised by Andy Mabbett <http://microformats.org/wiki/User:AndyMabbett>
in
(/http://microformats.org/discuss/mail/microformats-discuss/2008-January/011344.html/)

The required use of rel-enclosure
<http://microformats.org/wiki/rel-enclosure> does not allow for links to
streaming files, which are not cacheable, and are thus outside the scope
of rel-enclosure. An example on
(/http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/livingworld_20041121.shtml/) has
the relevant link is below the heading "LISTEN AGAIN".

[1]
http://microformats.org/wiki/haudio-issues#D4:_2008-01-10__rel-enclosure_does_not_allow_for_links_to_streaming_files

I have looked at the cited  example to this issue and I can't see a
problem with marking the link up with rel-enclosure

this link:

to&nbsp;21&nbsp;November</a>

can be marked up in haudio like this:

<a rel="enclosure"
href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/rams/livingworld_20041121.ram"
type="audio/x-pn-realaudio">Listen to&nbsp;21&nbsp;November</a>

I would like to note  ".ram" files can be cached and downloaded.

I do however agree that rel-enclosure IS unsuitable for some types of
files such as audio streamed directly from a server.

I would like to Recommend that this issue should be closed, pending
further examples.

Thanks

Martin McEvoy