[uf-new] hAudio Issue D4: 2008-01-10 rel-enclosure does not allow forlinks to streaming files

Tantek Celik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Wed Aug 20 08:07:32 PDT 2008

Apologies for top posting (BB limitation).

-1 to introducing a new value for rel-streaming.

The manner in which this has been pursued is too much "semantic distinction theory" rather than practical and based on existing practice.

>From my understanding of existing practice, when streaming media is posted to a blog post, it is also included in RSS in an enclosure element and/or in Atom feeds with a <link rel="enclosure" ... > tag, and thus we should interoperate with existing practice rather than inventing a new value.

Put another way, the burden of proof is on the need for a new value. No such evidence (arguments of the form "nice to have" or "would also be useful" or English dictionary references are not evidence - real world publishing practice is evidence) has been provided to justify a *new* value rather than use of the existing "enclosure" value. If you do find such evidence, document it on a wiki page like "streaming-examples".

Toby wrote:
>differentiating between
download and streaming URLs in the case where both are available.

That distinction is already made via different MIME types on the enclosure, reflected in the type attribute (on a or link tags). No need to invent something new.

Tantek