[uf-new] hAudio Issue D4: 2008-01-10 rel-enclosure does not allow forlinks to streaming files

Martin McEvoy martin at weborganics.co.uk
Wed Aug 20 08:47:36 PDT 2008

Hello Tantek

Tantek Celik wrote:
> Apologies for top posting (BB limitation).
>
> -1 to introducing a new value for rel-streaming.
>
> The manner in which this has been pursued is too much "semantic distinction theory" rather than practical and based on existing practice.
>
> >From my understanding of existing practice, when streaming media is posted to a blog post, it is also included in RSS in an enclosure element and/or in Atom feeds with a <link rel="enclosure" ... > tag, and thus we should interoperate with existing practice rather than inventing a new value.
>
> Put another way, the burden of proof is on the need for a new value. No such evidence (arguments of the form "nice to have" or "would also be useful" or English dictionary references are not evidence - real world publishing practice is evidence) has been provided to justify a *new* value rather than use of the existing "enclosure" value. If you do find such evidence, document it on a wiki page like "streaming-examples".

Agreed.

It would seem unsafe of me to suggest a rel="stream" without providing
evidence that this may be necessary  so I  made a study on the existence
of  "Streams"  or audio that can be played typically in the users
browser and not available to be downloaded and cached to the users hard
drive. I found that over 50% our existing examples show evidence of
streamed audio

see: http://weborganics.co.uk/docs/Stream-Analysis.txt

The trouble is this may be just a "semantic distinction theory"  because
in order that streams can be played some part of the audio must be first
downloaded (even if its only a few kilobytes), either to the Browsers
Cache,  or to  memory by the application that is playing it.

I think that maybe what is best for the hAudio  proposal is that that we
add the Existence/or not of streams to work in progress
http://microformats.org/wiki/haudio#Work_in_progress
for any future versions of hAudio pending further examples.

Best Wishes

Martin McEvoy