[uf-new] rel=license scoping and hAudio

Toby A Inkster mail at tobyinkster.co.uk
Wed Aug 20 12:04:19 PDT 2008

> http://creativecommons.org/license/music
>
> Their approach has the musical work(s) described on a page as the only
> content on that page, so rel="license" makes a little more sense in
> their use case. This would also make sense in the hAudio case, but
> has a
> very high probability of abuse.

This only works when the primary topic of the page is a single work
under the given licence, or a collection of works all under the same
licence. If there are works under different licences, or if the
hAudio is only a small part of a the page (as in my "Music in the
Digital Age" essay example), then it fails.

> The XHTML vocabulary also defines rel="license" as applying to the
> current document and not to resources in the document.
> http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml/vocab#license
> Keep in mind that this is a non-issue in RDFa since you always have a
> subject, which is why it is supported in Audio RDFa[2].

I'm referring more to pages written as non-RDFa hAudio which are then
*parsed* as RDFa. Because then no explicit RDFa subject is likely to
be given (using e.g. @typeof or @about), so any conforming RDFa
implementation will take rel=license to apply to the entire page.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail at tobyinkster.co.uk>