[uf-new] rel=license scoping and hAudio

Martin McEvoy martin at weborganics.co.uk
Wed Aug 20 12:22:12 PDT 2008

Hello Manu

Manu Sporny wrote:
> Toby A Inkster wrote:
>
>> With rel-license scoping has potentially major legal ramifications.
>> Essentially it means that any rel=license link found needs to be
>> manually checked to determine exactly what the licence applies to. And
>> if one needs to manually inspect a page to determine its licence, then
>> rel=license is adding no value.
>>

> This is a very good point, Toby. It is an argument against using
> rel="license" in the current version of hAudio since the semantics do
> not match up with what is intended. Namely:
>
> "By adding rel="license" to a hyperlink, a page indicates that the
> destination of that hyperlink is a license for the current page."[1]
>
> However, to give a counter-point, Creative Commons notes that
> rel="license" should be used to specify what music a particular work is
> licensed under:
>
> http://creativecommons.org/license/music
>
> Their approach has the musical work(s) described on a page as the only
> content on that page, so rel="license" makes a little more sense in
> their use case. This would also make sense in the hAudio case, but has a
> very high probability of abuse.
>
> The XHTML vocabulary also defines rel="license" as applying to the
> current document and not to resources in the document.
>
> http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml/vocab#license
>
> Keep in mind that this is a non-issue in RDFa since you always have a
> subject, which is why it is supported in Audio RDFa[2].
>
> If we do want to specify the license for Microformatted objects in the
> future, we should pick something else, like rel="hlicense" to specify
> the relationship between a Microformat object and it's license.
>
> However, hAudio does not have enough examples of specifying the license
> to warrant this addition to the Microformat.

You are right Manu In fact only a handful of the audio-info-examples
make any reference at all to a licence of any kind so for hAudio
rel="licence" is out of scope for haudio at this time, but Its good to
talk these things through.

Is it safe to say that I can  re-close issue  "D6: 2008-01-10 hAudio
notes inconsistency" [1] ? (if thats ok with everyone else that is?)

[1]
http://microformats.org/wiki/haudio-issues#D6:_2008-01-10_hAudio_notes_inconsistency

Thanks

Martin McEvoy