[uf-new] Re: hAudio FN or Title

Guillaume Lebleu guillaume at lebleu.org
Fri Feb 1 17:33:52 PST 2008

Martin McEvoy wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 22:09 +0000, Andy Mabbett wrote:
>
>> The more I consider this, the more I am convinced that class names
>> should not be shared between microformats.
>>

> For what its worth I think you may be right for example "fn" was only
> used in hcard this meant just the name of a person or organization,
> great stuff powerful and clearly defined. hAudio and hreview re-use "fn"
> to mean other things too, haudio it means, a title of a playlist, album,
> or track and the name of a contributor or organization (makes your head
> spin trying to explain that to people), in hreview it is the name of the
> thing that is under review and the name of the reviewer, kind of
> devalues the semantics of "fn" don't you think? instead of being
> something specific its turned into something more general. So yes in
> light of the above maybe we shouldn't re-use class names so willingly,
> most of the community that spend a lot of time working these things out,
> the only time we should is if what we are trying to describe has the
> exact same meaning, only then would it make sense to re-use.

Wouldn't you say that this is equivalent to saying that what is really
important is that the meaning of class names be context-insensitive,
i.e. a class name like fn's meaning should not change when used within
an haudio or an hcard ?

By the way, about "fn", as you know, it stands for "formatted name",
i.e. how the name is displayed, which is really a useful distinction to
make when:

    * on one hand the name exists in other representations not intended
      for display, i.e. "structured" "tokenized"representations useful
      for indexing/searching in particular, where honorific title, given
      name, family name, etc. are distinguished,
    * and on the other hand, the actual representation used for display
      (meaning really for serial representation, i.e. printed on a
      letter) must be kept handy b/c the formatting rules vary widely
      from locale to locale, and finding them out, representing in code,
      and running them each time you want to print does not make sense.

Assuming this more precise meaning, I don't think it applies to a song
name, which does not have to my knowledge a tokenized form. (BTW,
assuming this meaning, "fn" may not even be always appropriate even for
all displayable by nature HTML-based representations of a person's name:
take the particular case of an HTML table where a person's name is
typically in a tokenized representation, which may not correspond to the
localized serial representation a.k.a. "formatted name")

Guillaume