[uf-new] Namespace anti-pattern and hAudio TITLE (was: hAudio FN or Title)

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 13:05:52 PST 2008

2008/2/4, Manu Sporny <msporny at digitalbazaar.com>:
> Even if there was no attempt to do any sort of "emulated namespace", and
> even if you were attempting to just concatenate space-separated-terms so
> they could be used in the class attribute, the end result is an
> "emulated namespace".
>
> We have a root, a separator, and a suffix. The root is 'organization',
> the separator is '-' and the suffixes are 'name' and 'unit'.
>
> If we have this (EX2):
>
> organization/name
> organization/unit
>
> We have a root, a separator and a suffix. The root is 'organization',
> the separator is '/' and the suffixes are 'name' and unit'.

--- but your argument falls down with your other citation of
country-name. This is NOT:

country/name

This is part of the ADR microformat and is not:
adr-country-name
adr-locality
adr-region

I still do not consider this any sort of namespacing each term stands
on it's own by itself.

> Regardless of what those that put hCard together meant to do, a side
> effect of choosing to use '-' to separate elements and using the same
> root creates an "emulated namespace".

--- this was never the intent of hCard, and i still no do not believe
having a hyphen denotes namespaces of any kind. People who hypenate
their surnames, jones-smith is NOT a namespace of jones/smith.

> To create an "emulated namespace" and then to claim that it isn't one
> creates an inconsistency in the Microformat community's stance against
> namespaces.

Agreed, and this is why i do not consider  this any sort of "emulated
namespace" had it his been CamelCase would you still argue Namespace?
getUser() is not namespaced, nor is smith-jones or country-name or
e-mail.

We must be talking past one another with our definitions, it is
probably best to start a wiki page and the discussion will not get
lose between posts and threads. It will also make it easier for anyone
to reference later. Continuing this thread will not be productive for
very long.

-brian

--
brian suda