[uf-new] Re: Namespace anti-pattern and hAudio TITLE

Manu Sporny msporny at digitalbazaar.com
Tue Feb 5 09:47:44 PST 2008

Edward O'Connor wrote:
> Manu wrote:
>
>> Does it? If 'country-name' isn't namespaced, then we could get rid of
>> country and 'name' by itself would have an unambiguous meaning.
>
> I think you're missing the distinction between 'namespace' and
> 'context', like Tantek suggested.

I assure you, I am not missing the distinction. I have quoted the
definitions in the literature to back up what I'm asserting. Please read
the namespace-inconsistency-issue page before making statements to that
effect (I have updated it to reflect your comments):

http://microformats.org/wiki/namespaces-inconsistency-issue

All definitions are clearly cited - note that nobody else is citing
definitions to what "namespace" means in this discussion. If you would
like to cite some examples that support your viewpoint, that would be
great. :)

> Basically, you're stating the reductio
> for your own position -- you're basically saying that all adjectives are
> namespaces, and that's clearly incorrect.

This is what I'm saying:

context/scope provide "an enclosing structure that provides semantic
meaning to the elements that it encloses."[1]

When you name a context/scope, it is called a namespace.[2]

> *Of course* 'country' has semantic meaning. It's an adjective that
> provides context for 'name'. But context does not a namespace make...

No, but a named context is a namespace. It's right there in your first
semester programming languages text book (which I've cited several of
them on the namespaces-inconsistency-issue page).

>> 'country' is a namespace that gives scope to the following 'name' by
>> specifying that we are talking about a 'country name' and not a
>> 'person name'.
>
> No, country does that because of its adjective-ness, not its
> namespace-ness.

In this case, they're the same thing. In general, I would go as far to
say that adjectives and adverbs, by definition, are namespaces because
they provide finer context for the subject that they describe AND they
are named. A named context is... a namespace.

-- manu

[1]http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=context
[2]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scope_%28programming%29