[uf-new] PROPOSAL: Replace hAudio FN with TITLE

Martin McEvoy info at weborganics.co.uk
Thu Feb 7 13:02:15 PST 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-07 at 09:19 -0800, Guillaume Lebleu wrote:
> Martin McEvoy wrote:
> > PS: Its interesting to note that "Title's" in classical music generally
> > get their names from the "sheet music titles",  cant find any reliable
> > sources that say this, but I would say kind of relevant.
> >

> Not sure I understand what you mean here. Can you elaborate?

sure, well I will try ;)

"sheet music" is music in its paper form, can either be handwritten or
printed musical notation, "sheet" is used so you know the difference
between music on paper and a music presentation (audio), Both are more
generally called just "music". Its what people used to buy before
recorded music came about. This is why Tin Pan Alley in New York became
famous (1900's)

Early sheet music came in the form of manuscripts written on parchment,
Later sheet music came in book form (song books), Now more often than
not It comes in PDF format, There is an XML Vocabulary for Digital
"Sheet Music" called MusicXML http://www.musicxml.org/

I would Guess the reason why we use "title" ie:

"song title" and "title track"

when referring to an audio composition is because the written/printed
form of music "sheet" also uses "title"

As I said above I don't have any good citations or sources (yet) but it
is an interesting theory. There may be others on the list that can
expand this theory further as I am not an expert :)

Thanks

Marin McEvoy