[uf-new] Governance and process (Was: PROPOSAL: Replace hAudio FN with TITLE)

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Tue Feb 12 05:21:00 PST 2008

On Tue, February 12, 2008 12:59, Martin McEvoy wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-02-12 at 07:33 +0000, Brian Suda wrote:

>> Just because no one publicly disagrees doesn't mean that everyone
>> agrees to the proposal and that it is acceptable to move forward.
>
> as usual in this community If someone sees something they DON'T like they
> just ignore it and hope it will go away.
>
> Only when things change do people jump up and down and say how wrong it
> is! usually without offering any reasons why or any alternatives.

That's the way this "community" has worked since I first came across it;
not least because the problems with "governance" are generally treated in
just the way you describe.

A few admins have the ability to force through their view of how things
should be (up to and including editing published specifications with
previously undocumented rules, claimed to have been decided in camera some
years ago); the rest of us must, it seems, await their pleasure.

Anyone challenging this status quo faces opprobrium, while valid
suggestions and reasonable questions are quietly ignored. Some time sooner
or later, though, the wider web community will cotton on...

--
Andy Mabbett
** via webmail **