[uf-new] figure microformat

Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis bhawkeslewis at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 23 12:10:00 PST 2008

I wrote:
> For a captioned photo I'd recommend either using a concise label
> (alt="Einstein") or a brief description of what you can see, depending
> on your editorial focus and what information is provided by text elsewhere.
>
> ALT="Einstein photographed at 68, eyebrow arched as he looks out to the
> camera, face creased with wrinkles, with an impressive mustache and a
> scraggy mane of white hair."
>
> would be one attempt to provide an actual text equivalent for (say):
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Albert_Einstein_Head.jpg

You may have noticed that my example features a different photograph
than that referred to in the draft's example. This was because there was
more than one photograph of Einstein by Ehrenfest, and there wasn't
enough equivalent text to identify which one was indicated. It occurred
to me afterwards that this is actually a rather nice example of how the
example markup /didn't/ provide enough text equivalence, at least not
for this reader. :)

> Whatever you think of the necessity of alternative text for content
> images, such supplementary uses of ALT and LONGDESC need (it seems to
> me) to have some sort of place in the proposed draft.

To rephrase this in a (sightly) more actionable way: if we're talking
about extracting content images and information about them from web
documents, then we either need to try to dictate how authors should
provide text equivalents for images or we need to cater for the
different ways they already do (and don't) provide text equivalents. The
first is hard because it's hard to achieve consensus (see the differing
opinions in the original reading list I provided) and the second is hard
because practice is variable.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis