[uf-new] figure microformat

Sarven Capadisli csarven at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 12:56:29 PST 2008

On 2/23/08, Andy Mabbett <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:
>  Turning to specifics, I think the dismissal of the "include pattern" is
>  unfortunate and needs to be reversed (not least because text suitable
>  for use as a caption might be buried in a paragraph else where on the
>  page); and more attention needs to be paid to the proper use of "alt"
>  and "longdesc" attributes.

+1 for bringing the include pattern back. Even if the suitable caption
is not used somewhere else on the page, it would be appropriate to
/connect/ the reference point (context) with the figure itself. For
instance, without the include pattern, the following is common
(examples need to be cited):

>  Finally I'd like to see one or more use-cases explained - what will
>  parsers actually /do/ with this information?

If I understand this correctly, one possible use for parsers is to
list figures with their context in the document. Similar to footnotes?
(http://microformats.org/wiki/footnotes-examples)

-Sarven