[uf-new] Re: hAudio issue: position

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Sat Jan 12 12:48:17 PST 2008

In message <1200097441.5162.47.camel at localhost.localdomain>, Martin
McEvoy <martin at weborganics.co.uk> writes

>Hello Andy
>
>On Fri, 2008-01-11 at 20:27 +0000, Andy Mabbett wrote:
>> I think that providing an alternative to OL in that manner, not to
>> mention encouraging people to use it by having it as an example in
>> the
>> spec, is no better then "p class="heading">

By which I meant ...than <p class="heading">

>I am not going to argue with you on that point I agree in principle,
>but unlucky for us the "real world" is much different to the world we
>are trying to create, you know as well as I that a lot of designers
>still use tables for layouts, most are not interested in validating
>their documents, or understand semantics beyond "web3.0"(yuck) or
>"twine"(lol),

I really don't think we should accord such bad behaviour credit by
catering for it at the expense of good practise.

>so hAudio has to fit in

I don't think that's a given.

>, in order to be adopted, this is why the compromise, allow authors to
>publish hAudio in tables (If they so wish) and so making hAudio easier
>to adopt.

hAudio in tables is a separate issue to bad mark-up, Tables may well be
valid, semantically-correct and the best way to mark up a page about
number of audio recordings. The use of microformats in tables is itself
an issue in need of further thought.

For example (this is an illustrative question, not a proposal), should:

        <th class="fn" scope="row">Name</fn>

indicate that each cell in that column is to be treated as an FN if
there is, say, a vCard across that cell's row? If not, how else might
that be achieved?

--
Andy Mabbett
            *  Say "NO!" to compulsory UK ID Cards:  <http://www.no2id.net/>