[uf-new] New proposed microformat: hProject

Danny Ayers danny.ayers at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 10:36:46 PST 2008

Oops, I just remembered hDOAP - my projection of DOAP into HTML. It's
not an official microformat because it hasn't been through the
process. But it's already deployed on at least one site, so I guess
that's part of the process started...

http://dannyayers.com:88/xmlns/hdoap/profile/hdoap-index.html

(the URL should be http://purl.org/stuff/hdoap but I appear to have
messed up my Apache config)

http://doapspace.org/

> Thanks. I already am aware of DOAP. From my judgment, it is an
> ill-designed and bloated format. Actually, I have only seen a couple
> of websites using it despite it's 4 year age. It may be a lack of
> publicity or interest but I think that it also shows that it's too
> complicated.

It doesn't especially complicated to me, in fact if something like
this example were expressed in HTML I'm pretty sure it'd look a whole
lot worse:

http://doapspace.org/view_source/sf/jpen

The criticism of bloat doesn't hold - you should only use the terms
you need, you can ignore the rest (that's the general case with RDF).
Not sure about being ill-designed, the docs on the IBM site put
together a pretty good case I'd say.

There's no doubt that most RDF/XML does look complicated, but the
important part of DOAP (and other RDF vocabularies) is the domain
model, the serialization format is secondary. If you *must* look at
the raw data, then RDF's Turtle syntax is clearer, e.g. from the
sample above:

@prefix : <http://usefulinc.com/ns/doap#> .

[      a :Project;
          :name "jpen";
          :description "Java library for accessing pen/digitizer
tablets and pointing devices" ;
          :homepage <http://sourceforge.net/projects/jpen/> ]

But then tools can save you even that complication:

http://crschmidt.net/semweb/doapamatic/

Cheers,
Danny.

--